Activity: Make homemade ink with household stuff
Did you know you can make traditional-style black ink with stuff you’ve probably got in your kitchen?
It’s so satisfying spending time to make something this useful and basic. Bear in mind: this activity requires four days of waiting time between the prep phase and the finishing steps.
- 2x empty glass jars (or similar containers)
- Vinegar, enough to fill one of the jars (I’ve used white vinegar, but normal malt vinegar will work too)
- Some water, to fill the other jar
- A steel scouring sponge (the sort you might use for washing up)
- 6x teabags (anything with black tea, not herbal ones)
- A saucepan
- A stove (or similar heat source)
- A paintbrush or dip-pen (or other tool for writing/drawing with ink)
- A small jar for the finished ink